[vdr] VDR automatic channel update and recording annoyance.

Timo Laitinen timolai at utu.fi
Sun Apr 10 22:33:55 CEST 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:39:29 +0300
Rantanen Teemu <teemu.rantanen at tekla.com> wrote:

> Timo Laitinen wrote:
> > I've tried this now, but not very successfully. The live-tv has
> > still a
> > gap, and the syslog gap is there too. In the recording, there is no
> > gap
>
> Well, yes. The PMT_SCAN_TIMEOUT=1 wasn't expected to remove the gap,
> only make sure the gap happens as soon as pids are changed (at the
> program start, not after the start)

Sorry, I was a bit unclear there, the syslog gap means that there is
still a large difference between event change and pid change.

> Now I could verify what happened with a familiar recording I have
> every week.
>
> Apr  9 22:05:24 vdr vdr[7835]: timer 2 (1 2129-2211 'Uutisvuoto') set
> to event La  09.04.2005 22:05-22:26 'Frasier'
> Apr  9 22:05:25 vdr vdr[7843]: changing pids of channel 1 from
> 512+128:650=fin:2321 to 512+128:650=eng:2321
>
> The time between event change and pid change is only ~1 second, as it
> used to be ~5-7 seconds. It is now only ~2 seconds after the program
> has started (when the program really starts, after the introduction).

Hmm... I didn't record the program, but my logs say, that

Apr  9 22:05:19 localhost vdr[4722]: channel 1 (YLE TV1) event 22:05
                                     'Frasier' status 4
Apr  9 22:05:25 localhost vdr[4722]: channel 1: ALang
                                     changed bud don't care

but I can't confirm if the possible gap would have been inside the
program or not here, as the modification prevents pid change. The latter
line is a (slightly typo'ed) log message I added along with the
modification, so it corresponds to the "changing" log message. The
PMT_SCAN_TIMEOUT is set to 1. Without the modification and the
timeout=1, I seem to still get differences of ~5 seconds, so the
"wrinkle" appears well inside the program (tested it again today).

Timo