[vdr] VDR automatic channel update and recording annoyance.

Timo Laitinen timolai at utu.fi
Mon Apr 11 23:07:46 CEST 2005

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:53:58 +0300
Timo Laitinen <timolai at utu.fi> wrote:

> > Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I can't quote a standard here, but I would say that plain
> > > common sense dictates that the PIDs should be set correctly
> > > (including language codes) _before_ a broadcast starts. After
> > > all, they're not likely to change right in the middle of a movie,
> > > are
> > they?
> >

> I sent a question about this to Digita (the company responsible for
> digitv-stuff in Finland) info address two weeks ago, but no response
> so far. They did forward it to "Digita Antenni-info" (antenna info),
> so I'm not holding my breath...

Well lo and behold, they answered! They looked into it, and say that the
PID changes "exactly at the program change", also when only the language
code is changed. They also tested it with 3 set-top-boxes, with no
problems.

So, if they are right, there's something wrong with vdr (although they
called it a "feature" ;-) ). Any tips for debugging the problem (not
sure if I have the time, at least until May, but maybe someone else?)?

BTW, I may also have found another problem. I tried to disable the pid
scan by setting the updatechannels to 1, as it seems to bypass the
setpids. An hour after a boot (which was due to other reasons), the
computer crashed (vdr start 20:23:17, last log message before crash at
21:23:46, the plugin EPGSearch: search timer update finished)). After
reboot, channels.conf was filled with zeros (and timers.conf and
epgsearch.conf were empty). It may have been due to other issues and
can also be EPGsearch problem (although... should it be able to cause a
crash?), but I won't be able to re-test it before the weekend.

Timo