[vdr] dxr3 glitches - buffer problem?

Prakash Punnoor prakashp at arcor.de
Sun Apr 17 11:35:49 CEST 2005

James Lamont schrieb:
> I spent countless hours trying to get VDR running with a DXR3 on a
> mainboard with an MVP3 chipset. The problem I had was more or less
> exactly as you described but worse.
>
> Watching live TV was fine but any hard disk or network activity caused
> glitches, both in the recording and on the live display.
>
> I tried all sorts of things to fix it, increased buffer sizes, upgraded
> drivers, messed with PCI latency settings, changed network cards,
> overclocked the CPU, etc etc.  Nothing seemed to help much. It just
> seemed to be a PCI bandwidth problem and there was nothing I could do
> about it.

Well, even with the KT133 chipset, I needed this for being able to *just view*
progs live on the ARD transponder:

setpci -s 00:00.0 latency_timer=0

I haven't tested the MVP3 w/o above, but I guess this is no better.

> Eventually I gave up and switched to a mainboard with a BX chipset. All
> the problems went away (until I added a second dvb card, but thats
> another story)

Unfortunately I mostly have Via crap lying around here. Only my main machine
has nforce2... I also have some Intel TX chips lying around, but I guess CPU
(~166MHz) isn't strong enough. :-/

Well, thanx for sharing your experiences. I at least now now that I am not
alone with this.
--
Prakash Punnoor