[vdr] Vdradmin autotimer suggestion

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Sat Apr 23 02:12:03 CEST 2005

Kartsa wrote:
> I don't know about other countries but in finland often programs have
> reruns within few days causing some autotimer to timer same event twise.
> This is quite usual especially with series.
>
> So I wonder if it would be a good idea or even feasible to have weekday
> selection in autotimer setup?

"Advanced" timer programming is the domain of Master-Timer.
http://mt.citd.de

One of it's many feature is to restrict timers to specific weekdays.

Or, if the EPG-Data is good(tm) (meanes: has a meaningful subtitle,
i.o.w. the title of the episode), Master-Timers "done"-feature removes
any (Master-Timer-)timers that entered the "done"-list which are still
programmed in VDR the next time master-timer is started.
This makes sure that a specific episode is never recorded again(*).
Great to record whole series, without recording an episode twice(*2), or
recording the rerun if the first attempt failed. :-)

I've recorded about 5 thousand(!) series and movies in 4 years. Workes
great as long as the EPG-(or secondary-source-)data is good. :-)
(Btw. I'd say that i'm a "heavy user". Converted into autotimers i would
currently have about 450 autotimers).

*: As long as the EPG-Data of immediate or later(i mean much later, like
month/years later when the whole series reruns) reruns match with the
already recorded one, if the EPG-data is garbage there is nothing
Master-Timer could do.

*2: Personally i've only encountered a single series which has the same
episode-title for 2 different episodes, luckily i realised that in time
to remove the entry from the done-file.

Bis denn