[vdr] Upgrading from DXR3 to FF, and not happy

Markku Tavasti tavasti at iki.fi
Mon Apr 25 11:39:31 CEST 2005

Nicolas Huillard <nhuillard at e-dition.fr> writes:

> The cost of a new mobo + modern CPU would be much less than your
> disappointment.

Problem is noise. Modern CPU requires more cooling which makes more
noise.  Silencing needs expensive case. So we end up to something like
400E for total cost. Ok, that is not so bad, but if it does not help,
it is bad. That's why I'm asking. I don't want to spend money and time
fixing something which is not broken.

> Or bad compiler, bad package source, bad dependencies. Did you try
> precompiled packages only, or at the contrary only self-compiled
> plackages and plug-ins ?

I've used self compiled earlier (1.3.22 and 1.3.17). Pre-compiled
seems bit slower, but don't really know since those were with dxr3,
and on every step dxr3 driver & plugin version changed also. So
results are not comparable..

I'll try memtest and cpuburn. I've tried memtest few month ago, and no
problems found.

--
M. Tavasti /  tavasti at tavastisolutions.com  /   +358-40-5078254