[vdr] Upgrading from DXR3 to FF, and not happy

Nicolas Huillard nhuillard at e-dition.fr
Mon Apr 25 20:16:58 CEST 2005

Carsten Koch a écrit :
> Markku Tavasti wrote:
>
>> I lost my temper with crashes with dxr3,
>
> If I understand the purpose of the xine and framebuffer
> plugins correctly, they, too, are alternatives to dxr3.

They are.

> Have you tried them as well?

Makku said he has a P350, that won't handle the software decoding.

> Are they more stable?

Reading the ML, it seems to.
Softdevice has reached a really good level these times. Whoever would
like to test a simple and efficient alternative to hardware decoding (FF
/ Dxr3) should test the latest softdevice release 0.1.1. Really
impressive : fast response, stable, etc.
Softdevice uses one of the 4 output methods : frame-buffer, DirectFB,
vidix, Xv. Choose the one that best suits you (frame-buffer is slow an
16 bits only, DirectFB uses video acceleration + alpha, vidix needs root
access for specific VGA cards, Xv needs an X server running)

> I'm just curious because I might want to move *away*
> from the FF card in the future because of ARM crashes,
> low bandwidth and high price.

Test softdevice if you have at least 800Mhz-1Ghz ;-) That's not an easy
task, but the result is rewarding.

--
NH