[vdr] vdr slowness when browsing channels

Oliver Endriss o.endriss at gmx.de
Sun Aug 7 15:26:32 CEST 2005

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Reinhard Nissl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Guy Roussin wrote:
> >
> >> I notice that vdr is slow when i try to quickly browse channels. it
> >> eats around 18-20% of the cpu (atlon1200) when
> >> i hold left or right key when browsing channels (vdr 1.3.27 vanilla -
> >> classic skin) .
> >> With text2skin (1.0) and Enigma, it eats around 40-50% of
> >> the cpu and browsing channels is very very slow ...
> >> Note: cat channels.conf | wc -l  --> 2600 lines
> > The problem seems to be, that for scrolling one line, all 2600 channels
> > are sent to plugins. The patch changes this behaviour to just send those
> > channels to plugins that will be shown on screen by VDR.
>
> These are only sent to plugins that actually implement a cStatus object.

Iirc that was a real performance issue on my old 200 MHz machine. :-(

Two possible solutions:
- The list of items should only be sent when the menu opens, not for
  each cursor movement.
- Only items at cursor_pos-N ... cursor_pos+N should be sent through
  cStatus. N = 50 or 100 should be sufficient.

Oliver