[vdr] cRemux single threaded?

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Mon Aug 8 03:37:51 CEST 2005

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Well, maybe I don't really understand your problem, but wouldn't
> it be better if you just run two separate threads, one that writes
> into cRemux and another that reads from it? That's how cRemux
> is supposed to be used, and apparently it works fine that way.

Its not a 'problem', as it now works quite well. The current data flow
is socket -> 2mb incoming buffer -> pre processing -> remuxing ->
PlayPes, and it runs in a single thread from beginning to end. I could
split this into several threads, but why? Why use a separate thread
(plus all the syncing that would be required) just for copying from one
buffer to the next?

Another reason not to thread cRemux: I still manage to keep 1.2.6
compatibility, and the 1.2.6 remuxer is only single threaded.

Cheers,

Udo