[vdr] Re: EGP and HDTV ihangs VDR?

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Mon Aug 8 17:59:05 CEST 2005

Rainer Zocholl wrote:
> Carsten.Koch at icem.com(Carsten Koch)  08.08.05 10:19

>>>I think I am experiencing the same problem. When I activate the
>>>automatic EPG scan (i.e. timeout of 2 hours) my VDR suddenly stops
>>>responding to anything, I think around the time when it should be
>>>scaning. Neither remote, nor svdrp work then, and the watchdog does
>>>not restart it. It just sits there doing nothing. There is nothing
>>>suspicious in the logs.
>>>I have a FF-TechnoTrend DVB-S and a budget Airstar2 DVB-T.
>
>             ~~
>

>>I wonder what happens if VDR encounters an HDTV channel
>>with a FF card during an EPG scan.
>

> I think that's known?
> A standard full feature card will die after fewseconds,
> and VDR(?) will hang in a loop trying to talk to the dead card.
> Or was that fixed?

It's only a problem if an HDTV channel is tuned to for live viewing.
The EPG scan just tunes to the transponder and doesn't turn on
live viewing. Therefore the pure EPG scan shouldn't be a problem.

>>Since new channels may get entered into channels.conf automatically,
>>you may not even know that you have an HDTV channel in it.
>

> Aren't HDTV marked with an impossible CAM tag?

I've marked those that I knew of, but things may have changed.
So far I don't know how to identify an HDTV channel from the
SI data.

Klaus