[vdr] vdr killing its recording on symlink directory

Stefan Huelswitt s.huelswitt at gmx.de
Wed Aug 10 23:02:12 CEST 2005

On 10 Aug 2005 peter.dittmann at freenet.de wrote:
> I use a system with 3 harddrives.
> On a recent system cleanup I moved some serial recordings completely to one drive (e.g. /video1/stargate) and symlinked the directory on /video0 for vdr to find the recordings.
> Now I have made a new recording to this directory.
> VDR now decided to start the 001.vdr right on the same physical drive with the result of killing the file in the process.
>
> The problem seems to be that vdr tries to create a symlink /video0/stargate/.../001.vdr pointing to the real file.
> As /video0/stargate is in reality /video1/stargate vdr can't create the real 001.vdr because a file with this name already exists.
>
> A good idea may be that vdr in this case would retry creating 001.vdr on the next available /videoX. to avoid this collission.

IMO you cannot blame VDR for this.

You moved around recordings and you didn't obeyed the rules VDR
uses to create recording dirs.
VDR always creates a recording dir on video0 and puts the index
file and such there. On videoX it creates a equal named dir to
put the 00x.vdr files which are linked to the dir on video0.
But you create a direct link to a recording dir, which was
unexpectable for VDR.

Regards.

--
Stefan Huelswitt