[vdr] vdr killing its recording on symlink directory

Jukka Tastula jukka.tastula at kotinet.com
Fri Aug 12 15:03:42 CEST 2005

On Friday 12 August 2005 14:41, Clemens Kirchgatterer wrote:
> if you have network connection to the server anyway, why not put the hdd
> in the server and get rid of the noise in the vdr box?

Even 100Mbit gets really slow really fast when you start doing everything
over it. I was tempted with the idea at first, though, but I decided
against it since I found that the HDD makes no detectable noise (unless I
put my ear right to it) and only heats up to about 30C without cooling.

And as I depend on vdr for my every day tv viewing I really don't want the
whole system to be _completely_ unusable if the network happens to stop
working for a reason or another.

I still think that the symlink stuff is such an easy and simple way of
adding/removing storage to/from an existing vdr installation that it makes
any kind of RAID setup look ridiculously overkill. That is all.