[vdr] Patch to Makefile so plugins are installed and man dirs are created

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Sun Aug 14 17:49:15 CEST 2005

C.Y.M wrote:
> Attached is a patch so VDR does not error during the installation if the man
> directories do not exist.  Also, this patch installs the plugins as well as the
> vdr binary when "make install" is used.

The PLUGINLIBDIR stuff doesnt work well in practice. First, changing
PLUGINLIBDIR to anything but $PLUGINDIR/lib wont work, because most
plugins compile into $PLUGINDIR/src/$PLUGIN/../../lib.

Second, the default plugin install location would be
/usr/local/bin/PLUGINS/lib - not very elegant. I use (and suggest)
/usr/local/lib/vdr, and thats not even a sub-folder of /usr/local/bin.

My suggestions:
- $PLUGINDIR/lib should be hard-coded as compile destination, because
plugin makefiles depend on it anyway.
- As a consequence, plugins-clean should not use $PLUGINLIBDIR, but
$PLUGINDIR/lib for cleaning.
- Install should copy from $PLUGINDIR/lib to $PLUGINLIBDIR, provide
they're not the same. (They are as default)
- Keep $PLUGINLIBDIR as default for -L as it is.

Its a matter of taste whether the default for $PLUGINLIBDIR should
continue to be ./PLUGINS/lib (compatibility!) or /usr/local/lib/vdr or
similar.

Cheers,

Udo