[vdr] how to reccmds.conf in background

Simon Baxter linuxtv at nzbaxters.com
Fri Aug 19 15:25:05 CEST 2005

Hi.

I've written a script which encodes vdr files into an avi file, and is
called from the reccmds.conf menu.

Problem is, it ties up the system until the script has completed, which
can be a very long time.

I gather the command executed must complete and output from the command
gets sent to the OSD.  I was hoping to get reccmds to call the script in
the background and then use svdrp to send status messages to the OSD.

The cutinplace script manages this, but my C programming isn't up to the
task!

How can I get a command called in reccmds to execute in the background??