[vdr] Querying CAM doesn't work

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sun Aug 21 13:47:32 CEST 2005

According to EN 50221 an application should be able to query
whether a given CAM can decrypt an actual broadcast by sending
it a CA_PMT with a ca_pmt_cmd_id of "query" instead of "ok_descrambling".

However, if I change the line

   capmt[length++] = CPCI_OK_DESCRAMBLING;

in VDR/ci.c to

   capmt[length++] = CPCI_QUERY;

I never get a ca_pmt_reply as specified in EN 50221, section 8.4.3.5.

Does anybody have an idea why that is so?
Is there a bug in VDR's CAM handling?
Could it be that the CAMs I have just don't behave correctly?

The reason why I'd like this to work is because if somebody
has more than one device with CAMs that supports a certain encryption
method, but only one of them has an actual smart card in it
and can thus actually decrypt, it is important that VDR selects the
right device. However, it can't do so if the CAM doesn't react
on a query.

Klaus