[vdr] clarification request: vdr file format?

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Thu Aug 25 18:34:43 CEST 2005

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> So converting from TS directly to PS would be the best choise.. ?
> TS still contains the timing information..
>
> vdr has access to TS stream, so it could save in TS format, or convert to
> correct/synced PS format?

VDR would have to convert TS to PES and back to TS to do this, as you
usually don't want to record everything on a transponder.
Basically, there's no problem to convert the stream content between TS,
PS and PES, but as I said, VDR recordings are far from being a simple
video file. A straightforward conversion to PS will result in a PS video
that will drive most players crazy. TS stream players are more robust to
handle live streams, and even they sometimes loose A/V sync.

Cheers,

Udo