[vdr] Interesting freeze

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at hut.fi
Tue Dec 13 12:20:39 CET 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:52:49PM +0200, Jarmo Järvenpää wrote:
> An interesting feature has came up with kernel 2.6.14 and hauppauge
> Nova-T (the older model) and the dxr3.
>
> If the computer has been down and started again, modules load up, vdr
> starts and bang -> the computer seems locked up (even the numlock
> doesn't light).
>
> This has happened multiple times already (and will happen if there's a
> power loss).
>

> I've noticed that if the computer is left on for about 10 minutes,
> miraculously, everything start working again.

I had similar problems on my box.  The computer would reboot if there
was a lot of VGA activity right after power-on.  It would be fine after
a few minutes of warming up with video output suspended.

I fixed the problem by replacing the big capacitors on the motherboard.
Most likely the on-board switching power supply of the motherboard
(for the chipset or the CPU) was malfunctioning due to aging capacitors.
One of the capacitors had some leaked electrolyte on the cap.  I had
hard time finding replacement capacitors, until a friend gave me ones
from a motherboard that was damaged because of his home-made water cooler.

Of course, it could be software or the main power supply as well.  Have you
updated the software lately?  Have you tried reverting it?

	Marko