[vdr] problem with DVB-S in Debian

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 13 18:08:15 CET 2005

I demand that Eduardo may or may not have written...

> I've got a sat reciver:
>   > Technotrend DVB-S 1.3 Premium
> into K7 700Mhz 768Mb:
>   > Debian GNU/Linux 2.6.8-2-k7 i686

Er, no. There hasn't been a Debian distribution with a number like that ;-)

> driver:
>   > Incluidos en el kernel-image.
[snip]
> that I can not make it work.

[snip]
> the devices here is it:
> ls -laF /dev/dvb/adapter0
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 2005-02-10 06:10 ./
> drwxr-xr-x  6 root root    4096 2005-02-10 06:10 ../
> crw-rw----  1 root video 250, 1 2005-02-10 06:10 audio0
[snip]
> vdr[3422]: ERROR: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0: No existe tal
> dispositivo o dirección

When reporting to an English-language list, it's a good idea to make sure
that the error messages are in English ;-)

Anyway, babelfish says "such device or direction does not exist" - that's
close enough to "no such device". This looks like a problem caused by the
device numbering change which happened a while ago now: /proc/devices should
contain the line "212 DVB". If it does, then this will fix your problem:

  # rm /dev/dvb/adapter? -rf
  # cd /dev && MAKEDEV dvb

Restarting vdr should now work.

--
| Darren Salt | nr. Ashington, | d youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk
| Debian,     | Northumberland | s zap,tartarus,org
| RISC OS     | Toon Army      | @
|   You too can roll your own kernel...

Evil Grin no. 13: <<<<<GRIN>>>>>