[vdr] problem with DVB-S in Debian

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 13 22:39:54 CET 2005

I demand that Eduardo may or may not have written...

> Darren Salt wrote:

>>  I demand that Eduardo may or may not have written...

>>> I've got a sat reciver:
>>> into K7 700Mhz 768Mb:
[snip; device nodes using char major 250]
>> Anyway, babelfish says "such device or direction does not exist" - that's
>> close enough to "no such device". This looks like a problem caused by the
>> device numbering change which happened a while ago now: /proc/devices
>> should contain the line "212 DVB". If it does, then this will fix your
>> problem:

> the device exist
> #grep DVB /proc/devices
> 212 DVB

That is as expected.

>>  # rm /dev/dvb/adapter? -rf

> and I remove all devices

>>  # cd /dev && MAKEDEV dvb

> and I make dvb devices again ...
> ls -laF /dev/dvb/adapter0
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 2005-02-13 19:13 ./
> drwxr-xr-x  6 root root    4096 2005-02-13 19:13 ../
> crw-rw----  1 root video 250, 1 2005-02-13 19:13 audio0
[snip]

Not good. Either MAKEDEV is failing to check whether you're using 2.6.8 or
later (makedev 2.3.1-75 is new enough), or you're actually using an older
kernel.

[snip]
| Debian,     | s zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland
| RISC OS     | @                             | Toon Army
|   Let's keep the pound sterling

Any wire cut to the specified length will be too short.