[vdr] [ANNOUNCE] Official launch of the english VDR wiki

Thomas Wehrspann thomas at wehrspann.de
Tue Feb 15 10:47:03 CET 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 08:10, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > But there's one problem with the licence: are there any non-free
> > pollut^H^H^H^H^H^Hcomponents, such as cover texts, which we should know
> > about?
>
> The Wiki is certainly welcome, but I think FDL is not a good idea; it's
> incompatible with the GPL.  Think including docs from the Wiki in VDR,
> or vice versa.  (Maybe Darren meant that)?  It's probably too late to do
> anything about it though.
>
> http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html
> http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/Tools/Attitude/fdl-harmful.html
> http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.html

Interesting links.
I knew that the FDL is not the best license for this, but the german Wiki
already falls under it and a translation is a derivation.

There are no cover texts or other non-free components.

But if the licence really bothers you and others, we can change it and start
from scratch, or mark existing documents as FDL content until they are
exchanged.
It is an interesting point to include wiki docs into VDR, plugins, ... and
concerns the english wiki more then the german.

The vast amount of documents are translations by me. And till february 13 a
registration was required to edit, so we know the authors.

Thomas