[vdr] [ANNOUNCE] Official launch of the english VDR wiki

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 23:30:33 CET 2005

I demand that Thomas Wehrspann may or may not have written...

> On Tuesday 15 February 2005 08:10, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>>> But there's one problem with the licence: are there any non-free
>>> pollut^H^H^H^H^H^Hcomponents, such as cover texts, which we should know
>>> about?
>> The Wiki is certainly welcome, but I think FDL is not a good idea; it's
>> incompatible with the GPL.  Think including docs from the Wiki in VDR, or
>> vice versa.  (Maybe Darren meant that)?  It's probably too late to do
>> anything about it though.

>> http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html
>> http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/Tools/Attitude/fdl-harmful.html
>> http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.html

> Interesting links.
> I knew that the FDL is not the best license for this, but the german Wiki
> already falls under it and a translation is a derivation.

> There are no cover texts or other non-free components.

This is good...

I'm now waiting for a cover text which says that there are no cover texts.
;-)

> But if the licence really bothers you and others, we can change it and
> start from scratch, or mark existing documents as FDL content until they
> are exchanged.

Yes. The latter seems like the better choice for reasons of practicality.

[snip]
> The vast amount of documents are translations by me. And till february 13 a
> registration was required to edit, so we know the authors.

I made a few small changes, mostly grammatical cleanups, yesterday.
Permission to relicense those changes under the GPL is granted, subject to
others' agreement.

| Debian,     | s zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland
| RISC OS     | @                             | Toon Army
|   <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/> (PGP 2.6, GPG keys)

This message was brought to you using only 100% recycled electrons.