[vdr] OT: Best DVI Video Card for Xine

Morfsta morfsta at irmplc.com
Fri Feb 18 13:15:20 CET 2005

Hi,

I have a VDR box running on a Redhat 9 system, currently using a
Technotrend FF DVB-S 1.5 and Hauppauge budget DVB-T connecting to a Sony
32" widescreen TV and Sony AV Amp (via dolby digital optical from the
DVB-S)

I'm getting a 43" Pioneer 435XDE plasma TV delivered and want to connect
to it using the HDMI connection - obviously it will be much better quality
and capable of delivering High Definition. Has anyone done this before?
What's the best way to do it and the best video card (I guess a DVI based
card with a DVI->HDMI cable??)

Do people generally use X11 to display the output from VDR xine, or do
people use framebuffer? If so, which card has acceleration best supported?

Are there any problems with aspect ratio, how does this work and what's
the best X11 set-up if using X? Is the desktop properly hidden?

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who's looked at doing this before,
or pointers to some FAQs / websites.

Cheers,

morfsta