[vdr] Re: Audio description wrong

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sat Feb 19 16:23:43 CET 2005

matthieu castet wrote:
> Hi,
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> matthieu castet wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Why do you care about the order it is provided in EPG data ?
>>> I think this wrong because if I enter the pid by hand, why I couldn't
>>> enter  first 331=eng and then 330=fra or even just 331=eng if I don't
>>> care about the French audio stream?
>>> I don't know what are the information available in EPG data, but in
>>> your example it seem there is the language, so why couldn't you use it ?
>> The PID data and the description are broadcast in two separate SI tables.
>> So far the only way to corellate them seems to be the sequence in which
>> they are given. If you manually manipulate the PID entries in
>> channels.conf
>> this is no longer possible. There is also no guarantee that the audio
>> track
>> description contains any reference to a language, nor that the
>> language code
>> that comes with an audio track description is at all correct.
> Ok,
> so adding the PID language in EPG audio description could be nice.

Not really.
For instance the German pay tv channels announce their PIDs with

and their track descriptions are

So on PID 1792 we get the German audio track, and on 1793 the English one (despite
the "deu" in the PID).
I don't think it would make things any clearer if the audio track descriptions
in the Audio menu would read

   deutsch (deu)
   englisch (deu)

would it? ;-)

This whole thing can only be reasonably solved if the providers finally
start setting their data correctly.