[vdr] mplayer.sh and AID 0

Juri Haberland list-linux.vdr at koschikode.com
Sat Jul 2 19:41:56 CEST 2005

"C.Y.M" <syphir at syphir.sytes.net> wrote:

> 2) Mplayer prefers to default to APID 1 over APID 0 (probably a mplayer problem,
> not a mplayer plugin problem).

No, this is normal. See 'man mplayer':
MPEG:      0-31
AVI/OGM:   1-99
ASF/RM:    0-127
VOB(AC3):  128-159
VOB(LPCM): 160-191
MPEG-TS:   17-8190

> 3) Mplayer is unable to switch between apids on the fly if mplayer is started
> out on a non-existing apid.
>

> In order to make use of the configurable default apid, changes will need to be
> made to mplayer.sh to understand what "$AID" is.

IMO the configurable AID stuff should be removed from the mplayer plugin
as it is a work-around for the formerly not existing
switch-audio-on-the-fly function. I've always been against this sort of
hack and told everyone in the german speaking VDR-Portal that it's not
a good idea to implement this, because, as you found out, you have to
examine the video and use different AIDs for the default audio track -
depending on whether it's a mpeg, a avi - with or without AC3 sound and
so on. I'm not willing to do this crap.

Please, Stefan, remove this mess - it was a mistake to implement it in
the first place...

Cheers,
    Juri