[vdr] vdr-1.3.27 and UTF-8

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Wed Jul 20 09:22:34 CEST 2005

Harald Milz wrote:
> Wolfgang Rohdewald <wolfgang at rohdewald.de> wrote:
> > On Mittwoch 20 Juli 2005 00:00, Harald Milz wrote:
> > > So at the end of the day, there's no way around a proper charset
> > > conversion... is there anything I can do to help?
>
> > Alexander Riedel announced UTF-8 Patch 0.0.3 on May 12 in this
> > list.
>
> Mmmm, yes, this patch is against 1.3.24, and applying it to 1.3.27 says,
>
> seneca:/usr/local/src/vdr/VDR # patch -p0 --dry-run < ../vdr-utf8-0.0.3.patch-0001.bin
> patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
> patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.

I've rediffed the patch against 1.3.25 some time ago. Apparently it
still applies to 1.3.27. I didn't check whether it actually works
though. You can find it here: http://www.suse.de/~lnussel/vdr/
(May take some time until the web server gets synced).

It's also in the vdr13 rpm packages on the ftp server. You have to
rebuild the src.rpm using --with freetype to enable it though.

> It seems nobody cares about this functionality when it was against 1.3.24
> and we're now working on 1.3.28. Will 1.3.28 be UTF-8 capable? Klaus,
> please. I understand you get lots of patches solving only minor and local
> problems but this is about international use of vdr and IMHO important
> enough.

The changes required for true UTF-8 support are not trivial. The
patch from Alexander is just a start. Something for post-1.4 IMHO.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Development