[vdr] vdr-1.3.27 and UTF-8

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Wed Jul 20 15:42:44 CEST 2005

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
>>Harald Milz wrote:
>>
>>>It seems nobody cares about this functionality when it was against 1.3.24
>>>and we're now working on 1.3.28. Will 1.3.28 be UTF-8 capable? Klaus,
>>>please. I understand you get lots of patches solving only minor and local
>>>problems but this is about international use of vdr and IMHO important
>>>enough.
>>
>>Well, UTF-8 is something I, personally, absolutely don't need - and don't
>>want!
>>So any implementation of UTF-8 in VDR will, first and foremost, have to be
>>_completely_ enclosed in #ifdefs, so that a "clean" version of VDR can be
>>compiled ;-)
>>
>>That said, there will be no UTF-8 support in the official version 1.4 of
>>VDR.
>>Maybe later, but it has no big priority for me...
>

> What's the problem with utf-8? Why do you consider it "unclean"?
>
> just curious,
> Johannes

To me, a character is an entity that's always the same size (preferably
one byte). UTF-8 breaks with this, so if you have a string that has,
e.g. a strlen() of 10, you can't be sure that this will be really 10 printing
characters because there might be some "escaped" characters.

Well, I admit that I'm in a lucky position where iso8859-1 is totally
sufficient for me. That's why I have so little interest in doing anything
in that direction...

Klaus