[vdr] Wait for lock with Rotor

Malcolm Caldwell malcolm.caldwell at ntu.edu.au
Fri Jul 22 18:18:35 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 16:33 +0200, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> Lauri Tischler wrote:
> > Well known problem is that when rotating the dish, it picks
> > up bogus channels.
> > Any news in this aspect ?
> > One solution would be to just calculate the distance between
> > old and new position and just wait one second per degree
> > or whatever is the speed of your rotor.
>
> In the actuator plugin, since I know the position of the dish, if it
> isn't positioned on the target satellite I set Setup.UpdateChannels to 0.
> I also patch vdr *not* to wait for a lock, and give it more time before
> deciding that there's no data coming for a recording (see attached patch).
> Unfortunately both of these solutions aren't the best option: since vdr
> looks for SI data (?) only right after switching channel, setting
> Setup.UpdateChannels to 0 will prevent channel updates until a new
> channel is selected on the same satellite, and not waiting for a lock,
> while not really problematic for live view, for a recording could give
> problems (e.g. with the teletext subtitles plugin).
> Klaus promised a better solution a while ago, I'm still waiting ;-)

Just to second this:
Without such a patch vdr does not work very well with a dish positioner.
(At least with my dxr3.  I don't know about a FF card, it might work for
replay, but the timeout for recordings would still be too low)

Its hard to explain to my wife why vdr must restart while we are
watching a recording because it is recording something of a more distant
satellite.