[vdr] VDR on mini-itx

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Tue Jul 26 11:25:30 CEST 2005

Harald Milz wrote:
> Niko Mikkila <nm at phnet.fi> wrote:
>

>>Since european HDTV transmissions will be based on MPEG4 AVC, I wouldn't base
>>my CPU choice on HDTV playback capabilities. H.264 decoding at 1920x1080 seems
>>to require a very fast dual core processor or two single-core ones. So in any case
>

> Good hint! From your perspective, is there anything on the horizon that is
> capable of doing this and save some energy? Would an Athlon64 X2 3800+
> running with cool'n'quiet be a proper choice? This seems cheaper than a
> dual CPU mainboard...

Don't worry: by the time HDTV will be mainstream (i.e. with regular
broadcasts, not experimental ones), the necessary cpu will just cost
eurocents ;-)
(of course my forecast is just based on my crystal ball, so I may be
wrong, but it doesn't really matter, since vdr will be by then illegal :-( )

Bye