[vdr] VDR on mini-itx

Niko Mikkila nm at phnet.fi
Tue Jul 26 12:03:58 CEST 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:10:26 +0200 (CEST)
Harald Milz  wrote:

> Good hint! From your perspective, is there anything on the horizon that is
> capable of doing this and save some energy? Would an Athlon64 X2 3800+
> running with cool'n'quiet be a proper choice? This seems cheaper than a
> dual CPU mainboard...

The latest and greatest GPUs from nVidia have already some kind of acceleration for
MPEG4 AVC, and hopefully they'll provide some driver support for Linux and *BSD as well.
Also Sigma will probably provide decoder chips within a few months. I guess we'll need
hardware decoding or at least decoding assistance at first -- just like for current MPEG2
HDTV streams.

A fast Athlon64 might work, but cool'n'quiet would be of no use because decoding
would take most of the available CPU resources.

--Niko