[vdr] Problem with streamdev-cvs and subtitles - workaround

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 20:59:27 CEST 2005

Anssi Hannula wrote:

>>> Is anyone using subtitles (with subtitles-plugin) successfully in a
>>> streamdev-cvs client?
>>>
>>> When I switch to any channel (subtitles or not), the video may stay
>>> black, and jnettop confirms that no data is sent to the client. Same
>>> thing happens with either dxr3 or xine as client's frontend. The
>>> client is is running in the same host as the server. I suspect some
>>> race condition in the plugin.
>>>

>> I managed to work around this problem with the attached patch
>> (Apparently CmdTUNE deletes and recreates m_LiveStreamer, but nobody
>> starts it again). I don't know if the patch has any side effects.
>> Maybe streamdev's maintainer can see what's the problem and make a
>> proper fix.
>>
> And I'm unable to get the dxr3 plugin working with this at all. Server
> always crashes.
>
> I'll try to put some mutex locking to the streamdev classes, if I can
> figure out how they work ;)

Well, the problem indeed is in the order of OpenDvr, Set/Add/DelPid, and
SetChannelDevice. When using subtitles plugin those differ. Also, if I
tried to insert additional CloseDvr(); OpenDvr(); into those other
functions, so that it would be executed as the last command, the server
segfaults with a crapped backtrace.

Cut from the backtrace:
#2336 0x66a58f41 in ?? ()
#2337 0x354ba17e in ?? ()