[vdr] Should VDR identify the audio stream type

Daniel THOMPSON daniel.thompson at st.com
Wed Jun 1 10:54:14 CEST 2005

Hi Folks

I (along with some other folks at my company) are developing a LinuxDVB
implementation for one of our devices. Since VDR (combined with vdr-dvd)
is one of the most feature complete applications targeting this API we
have been using it a one of our reference clients.

One of the aspects of VDR's behaviour that surprised me is that it never
sets the audio stream type (AUDIO_SET_STREAMTYPE or
AUDIO_SET_ATTRIBUTES). This leaves the LinuxDVB implementation to guess
the stream type from its contents or its PES headers.

Is the absence of the above LinuxDVB operations from VDR an oversight
because the existing full-featured cards don't need them or have these
calls been deliberately omitted? Would patches to introduce them be
accepted?

--
Daniel Thompson (STMicroelectronics) <daniel.thompson at st.com>
1000 Aztec West, Almondsbury, Bristol, BS32 4SQ. 01454 462659

If a car is a horseless carriage then is a motorcycle a horseless horse?