[vdr] suggestion: version stamping of patches

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Fri Jun 3 02:52:26 CEST 2005

Rainer Zocholl wrote:
>>Then we'll be in patching hell, because patches will require proper
>>ordering and depend on each other.
>
> Don't we have that already?
> Does current patches do not change the ID or add a new?

I currently use 5 patches regularly, with no collisions and no patch
ordering dependencies. 3 of the 5 patch menu.c without collisions. None
of them adds any kind of ID string.

> Do you always know exactly which patches were manually applied,
> say 3 weeks later...i wouldn't.

Actually... My VDR + plugin sources are built from the tars by a prepare
script so I can always reproduce the current code base, and I can easily
upgrade to newer versions without loosing anything. I can reconstruct
every major version I've used since end of January.

Cheers,

Udo