[vdr] readable format under OSX/Win ?

tony tony at tgds.net
Mon Jun 6 07:58:14 CEST 2005

Le dimanche 05 juin 2005 à 16:40 +0300, Jukka Tastula a écrit :

> The reason why quicktime doesn't support it is probably licensing issue of
> some kind.

This is the correct reason. If you want mpeg formats you must buy an
extension to quicktime that costs $20.

> And of course apple wants everyone to use their magnificent
> quicktime formats so you can't easily convert into anything usable and
> change player.

Quicktime 7 -> and MPEG4 are one and the same thing. You can knock Apple
if you want but they invented desktop video back in the early 1990s. I
think you should be thanking them instead for making desktop video
possible. In the corner of my home office I have a an AV Mac that is
dated 1993 - just think of what kind of video you could play back on a
PC or under Linux then...

Tony