[vdr] VDR and Sky Digital

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 09:46:40 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 23:17, Adrian P Challinor wrote:
> I apologise in advance for my lack of knowledge regarding satellite DVB and
> Sky's implementation. I am reading and googling all the time, but I will
> admit to a degree of confusion.

Yes you can use a DVB-S card to receive all the FTA channels (BBC, shopping,
god and not much else).

That's all you will ever receive. There is no CAM for Sky's Videoguard system
- you will not be able to use a Sky subscription card with VDR.

Klaus' 'sky' plugin for VDR is based around taking the analogue output from a
Digibox and encoding it to MPEG2 using a dedicated card.. the plugin mainly
acts to run the remote control for the Digibox.

Cheers,
Gavin.