[vdr] Dead lock in VDR/EPG scan

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sat Jun 11 16:45:28 CEST 2005

Michael Reinelt wrote:
>>Anybody here who is really using EPG scan? ;-)
>

> Yes, me :-)
>
> It did *never* work here until a bug was fixed in 1.3.25. Now the EPG
> scan starts in the night (as I want it to), but in the next morning, my
> screen is black. VDR still works, I can access the menus and so on, but
> no Live-TV. If I watch a recording, it's fine, if I abort it again =>
> black screen. The only solution I found is restarting VDR.
>
> Maybe the EPG scan tries to tune to a evil/bad/random channel, or one of
> the channels confuses the FF card, ...

The EPG scan only tunes to each transponder for some 20 seconds and
collects whatever data it finds. It does not switch to any particular
_channel_ (i.e. it does not set the primary device to display a certain
programme). So even if it tunes to, say, a transponder that broadcasts
HDTV programmes, a full featured DVB card shouldn't suffer from that,
because it never "sees" the actual HDTV data stream.

Klaus