[vdr] Low volume on Pro7 ?

Joerg Knitter joerg.knitter at gmx.de
Mon Jun 13 17:27:05 CEST 2005

Prakash Punnoor wrote:

> But what do you want to tell me? You are right or me? I am not an audio
> expert, but if I may quote following, I think it rather backs me up, as AFAIk
> noise shaping is a form of dithering, too. I understand:
>
> 96kHz, 20 bit pcm ~ SACD ~ 96kHz, 16 bit pcm w/ noise shaping
>
> So dithering does help to reduce noise levels. Or did I completely
> misunderstand anything?

I think, yes.

Dithering does add noise to get a smoother sound at low volumes. I have
read that the reason for dithering has something to do with
psychoacoustics: Human ear does not like distortion like it is produced
with quantisation noise, so "analogue" noise is added which makes the
sound smoother while at the same time the noise is ignored or filtered
by our mind. So in result, it sounds better even if we have added noise.

I found this explanation at
http://homerecording.de/modules/news/article.php?storyid=389, so if you
can read german or use a translator, you maybe might understand what I
wanted to say above :-)

With kind regards

Joerg