[vdr] boot times

Alfred Zastrow vdr at zastrow4u.de
Mon Jun 20 18:48:45 CEST 2005

Laurence Abbott schrieb:
> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 17:33 +0200, Alfred Zastrow wrote:
>

>>My vdr-system has the whole vdr/glibc/bin/modules-things in a initrd ram
>>disc which is loaded by the bios together with the kernel.
>>Boot time (after bios-checks) is < 10 seconds to see a picture and about
>>20 seconds until the system is ready to replay/record on a Duron 1300 board.
>

> That sounds interesting. Can you post any more details or links to how
> to set this up?

You can find an outdated version on http://www.zastrow4u.de/ which can
boot from a CD. Study how it works.

My actually version has *even* the ide-drivers included as kernel
modules, which are loaded _after_ vdr is up and running. Setting up such
a system is nothing for novice linuxer's. Therefore I can not spend any
support, because the whole system is very hardware specific and mistakes
often results in poorly booted systems without access to the drive...

Alfred