[vdr] boot times

Nicolas Huillard nhuillard at e-dition.fr
Mon Jun 20 19:36:16 CEST 2005

Alfred Zastrow a écrit :
> Laurence Abbott schrieb:
>> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 17:33 +0200, Alfred Zastrow wrote:
>>> My vdr-system has the whole vdr/glibc/bin/modules-things in a initrd
>>> ram disc which is loaded by the bios together with the kernel.
>>> Boot time (after bios-checks) is < 10 seconds to see a picture and
>>> about 20 seconds until the system is ready to replay/record on a
>>> Duron 1300 board.
>> That sounds interesting. Can you post any more details or links to how
>> to set this up?
> You can find an outdated version on http://www.zastrow4u.de/ which can
> boot from a CD. Study how it works.
> My actually version has *even* the ide-drivers included as kernel
> modules, which are loaded _after_ vdr is up and running. Setting up such
> a system is nothing for novice linuxer's. Therefore I can not spend any
> support, because the whole system is very hardware specific and mistakes
> often results in poorly booted systems without access to the drive...

Did you test different boot-time of standard stripped-down distros,
before setting this up, or did you go straight there because there is no
hope to significantly reduce the boot-time (read "time before live-view").
Said otherwise : what is the cost of the lasts seconds saved on booting,
and is it worth the effort for us average hackers ?
IIRC, a base install of a standard Debian boots in 15 seconds (from the
BIOS to the prompt, VIA C3 1Ghz). You have quite nothing for this time,
but it is still really low.