[vdr] boot times

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 20 21:04:39 CEST 2005

I demand that Simon Baxter may or may not have written...

> I see on the WIKI people have posted boot times, as low as 15 seconds.

> My boot time is terrible - haven't timed it, but would imagine it has to be
> 180 seconds plus.

> I am still running udev (FC3), which seems to take a large amount of time.

Try a newer version, or rebuild your kernel to include the drivers which you
normally use (rather than load them as modules).

> I'm sure I could probably strip out some of the other processes (like the
> NTP sync - why is that run at start up!!  Surely it should happen in
> parallel, not sequentially)

That one in particular shouldn't - some daemons may react badly to clock
jumps.

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt | nr. Ashington, | d youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk
| Debian,     | Northumberland | s zap,tartarus,org
| RISC OS     | Toon Army      | @
|   We've got Shearer, you haven't

Sorry, fresh out of taglines. I'm awaiting a new batch any day now.