Software suspend (was Re: [vdr] boot times)

Laz laz at club-burniston.co.uk
Sat Jun 25 22:39:55 CEST 2005

On Friday 24 June 2005 23:24, Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this mail is off-thread, but I lost track on the way. Sorry for
> that.
>
> Anyway: Within this thread a solution based on software-suspend2 was
> mentioned. I tried it and I'm quite surprised: it works!
>
> I'm using 2.6.12 with dvb-kernel CVS + the patchset from suspend2.net +
> hibernate from debian. Some usb-driver-quirks were necessary and now my
> system is up and running within 20 seconds, which is quite enough for me
> (as fast as the old dbox1, afair).
>
> I'm using vdr with softdevice via a Matrox G550 and 2 budget devices.
>
> Thanks for mentioning suspend2, thanks for the good work on VDR and
> especially the soft-device-plugin.

What are the usb-driver-quirks that you mention? Are they usb DVB devices that
you have?

I've just been having another go at getting software suspend to work on an
Epia-based vdr system with vdr-xine. I can get it to suspend and resume
fairly easily with a 2.6.12 kernel and the latest patch set form
www.suspend2.net but I can't get the DVB drivers to play nicely!

A suspend and restart brings it back up as it should and vdr starts but all I
see is a black screen. I can change channel but I still get a black screen. I
have yet to see if the DVB card (an old l64781 based Nova-T) is outputting a
stream or not, and LIRC won't allow any connections after resuming (homebrew
receiver). I have yet to try playing back a recording because it's a bit
awkward without a remote!

Has anyone had any luck with software suspend and this type of card or LIRC?
Do I need to explicitly kill vdr and unload the drivers before suspending,
and then reload and restart on startup?

Cheers,

Laz