Software suspend (was Re: [vdr] boot times)

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at desy.de
Sun Jun 26 10:31:56 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Laz wrote:
> What are the usb-driver-quirks that you mention? Are they usb DVB devices that
> you have?

Yes, I unload the DVB drivers before suspending and reload them after
resuming. Because of the firmware load of the DVB-USB-devices (after
firmware load they do a soft-reboot and appear as a "new" device) I had to
add a small delay of 3 seconds, that's what I meant by quirk.

> I've just been having another go at getting software suspend to work on an
> Epia-based vdr system with vdr-xine. I can get it to suspend and resume
> fairly easily with a 2.6.12 kernel and the latest patch set form
> www.suspend2.net but I can't get the DVB drivers to play nicely!
>
> A suspend and restart brings it back up as it should and vdr starts but all I
> see is a black screen. I can change channel but I still get a black screen. I
> have yet to see if the DVB card (an old l64781 based Nova-T) is outputting a
> stream or not, and LIRC won't allow any connections after resuming (homebrew
> receiver). I have yet to try playing back a recording because it's a bit
> awkward without a remote!
>
> Has anyone had any luck with software suspend and this type of card or LIRC?

Hmm I would simply stop and start the drivers/services which don't survive
the hibernation.

> Do I need to explicitly kill vdr and unload the drivers before suspending,
> and then reload and restart on startup?

Have a look in /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf - there are scriptlets-hooks
which can be of help.

regards,
Patrick.

   Mail: patrick.boettcher at desy.de