[vdr] EPIA SP + budget hardware mpeg2/4 acceleration?

Laurence Abbott laz at club-burniston.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 12:03:47 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 17:19 +0100, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> Leo Márquez a écrit :
> > En/na Nicolas Huillard ha escrit:
> >
> >> I personnaly have an EPIA M10000 in a CD-audio case, with no processor
> >> fan, but a 8cm low-speed extractor fan above a big heatsink on the
> >> processor.
> >
> > Good job! I have seen the photos. Can you tell us the models of the
> > extractor and heatskin?
>
> Forgot to describe the heatsink : it is a Zalman NB70 (I don't remember
> the exact reference), meant for North Bridge cooling, and is 70mm high.
> I found the idea on http://www.silentpcreview.com/ IIRC

I've just been looking at your piccies as well and it has got me toying
with the idea of doing something similar because something in my current
vdr box is packing up. Probably power supply or motherboard but it makes
too much noise anyway. ;)

How easy was it to get your Epia M1000 going with hardware MPEG
decoding? Is it as simple as: boot, start vdr with xine plugins, start X
sending out the S-video connector, start xine fullscreen?

How well does it cope with the OSD? I've tried the xine plugin on an
athlon 1000 and it seriously crawls when the OSD is displayed.

Any idea if any of the newer Epia boards would fare better? Although,
having had a quick look, the newer ones don't have parallel ports so
where would I attach my status LEDs?

;)

Has anyone tried running two DVB cards on one of these things with a
two-way PCI riser card?

All I need to do is think up a cunning idea for what to house the thing
in!!

Cheers,

Laz