[vdr] EPIA SP + budget hardware mpeg2/4 acceleration?

Laurence Abbott laz at club-burniston.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 12:43:20 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 12:35 +0100, tony wrote:
> Le vendredi 04 mars 2005 à 11:03 +0000, Laurence Abbott a écrit :
>
> > How easy was it to get your Epia M1000 going with hardware MPEG
> > decoding? Is it as simple as: boot, start vdr with xine plugins, start X
> > sending out the S-video connector, start xine fullscreen?
>
> Not yet but we are almost there. You need latest x.org and xine.

Got both of them already: vanilla or do they need lots of patching to
get it to work with acceleration? I looked into this a while back but I
think that was before Via open-sourced their driver.

> > How well does it cope with the OSD? I've tried the xine plugin on an
> > athlon 1000 and it seriously crawls when the OSD is displayed.
>
> The problem goes away with HW mpeg2 acceleration. The stream uses 10-15%
> CPU so there is plenty left for OSD

Excellent...

> > Any idea if any of the newer Epia boards would fare better? Although,
> > having had a quick look, the newer ones don't have parallel ports so
> > where would I attach my status LEDs?
>
> To on board header? Some have it some don't. The M 12000 is faster than
> the M 10000 doh =;-D

:-P

I was meaning more the other series such as the ME, MII, PD, etc. Is
mini-itx.com a good place to buy these things from?

> > Has anyone tried running two DVB cards on one of these things with a
> > two-way PCI riser card?
>
> There are issues with double riser cards. From memory it is a BIOS
> problem and, well, VIA isn't well you see =:-D You will need a decent
> power supply. You will not be able to use a tiny case without
> ventilation = noise.

I didn't think it would be as easy as I was hoping. I'll look into it...

What do people normally do for a powersupply with these things? Use a
chunky 12 V supply with a DC-DC convertor?

Whatever I use, it has to be quieter than my current setup!

Cheers,

Laz