[vdr] EPIA SP + budget hardware mpeg2/4 acceleration?

Nicolas Huillard nhuillard at e-dition.fr
Fri Mar 4 12:57:57 CET 2005

Laurence Abbott a écrit :
> How easy was it to get your Epia M1000 going with hardware MPEG
> decoding? Is it as simple as: boot, start vdr with xine plugins, start X
> sending out the S-video connector, start xine fullscreen?

I start X using the startx command as a special-purpose user, then it
uses it's .xinitrc that run xine with all needed options (that's a
standalone STB, so no regular X on this).
Softdevice is a better alternative : no need to run a display client +
the vdr server : just launch vdr and you're done. No HW MPEG2 decoding,
though.

> How well does it cope with the OSD? I've tried the xine plugin on an
> athlon 1000 and it seriously crawls when the OSD is displayed.

I configured the OSD as opaque. Even with HW decoding, the UI is not
smooth when the OSD is blended.

> Any idea if any of the newer Epia boards would fare better? Although,
> having had a quick look, the newer ones don't have parallel ports so
> where would I attach my status LEDs?

To the keyboard headers on the mobo. I plan to do that but didn't yet.
That means there is no real keyboard attached to the box, though.

> All I need to do is think up a cunning idea for what to house the thing
> in!!

It took me a whole week-end to cram everything inside the CD case (after
a whole bunch of design before that).

--
NH