[vdr] Replay with NFS and 54 MBit WLAN is jerky

Emil Naepflein Emil.Naepflein at philosys.de
Sat Mar 5 10:48:42 CET 2005

I just upgraded to vdr 1.3.22 and discovered that there are still
problems with playback over NFS and 54 MBit WLAN.

When I read the the video files with dd and 8kB blocksize I get a data
rate of about 1200 kB/s, and this should be sufficient to playback any

It seems that vdr doesn't fill used buffer aggressively enough. The file
reader should keep the buffer at the top limit so that dvbplayer always
has enough data available. When I stop playback I get the info that 0 %
of the buffer was used.

I also increased various buffer sizes like PLAYERBUFSIZE to 8 MB, but
this didn't help this time. In 1.2 this solved any problems most of the

I activated DEBUGRINGBUFFERS and set logging to 3 but I don't get any

Any ideas?