[vdr] vdr-1.3.22: channel not available. why?

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sun Mar 13 12:56:15 CET 2005

Rantanen Teemu wrote:
> After I've upgraded to vdr-1.3.22 I've had problems with "channel not
> available", when there is any timer recording.
> I have one full card and two budgets, all of which are DVB-C, and can
> (in theory) receive the same channels. Actually (of course) only the
> full card can receive encrypted channels.
> One example was yesterday. There was a timer on channel 5 (not encrypted
> = can be received on cards 1-3). This timer started on device 1 (full
> card). When the timer was recording VDR kept saying "channel not
> available" every time I tried to view encrypted channel.
> The timer was started on a full device, which isn't a good idea as all
> the budget cards too can receive the channel. But even after the timer
> was running on a full card, I have thought VDR would swap the timer to
> another card, if the full card was needed for a channel it only could
> provide. This did not happen now. Why not?

Because that "shifting" is not active (see cDevice::CanShift()).
It's way too complex, so I'm thinking of completey dropping that code,

As to why the recording started on the primary device, while there
were budget cards free at the time, I guess you'll need to do some
debugging in cDvbDevice::ProvidesChannel(). Here on my system recordings
only use the primary device if all others are already in use.