[vdr] A gap in recording on PID change

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at desy.de
Sun Mar 20 19:48:04 CET 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Stefan Lucke wrote:

> On Sonntag, 20. März 2005 18:42, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> Timo Laitinen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm having some problems with the changing pids between programs with
>>> different language specifications on the YLE mux in Finland. The problem
>>> is that the pid changes a bit late on the program start, not during a
>>> black screen. As a result, there is a short gap in the beginning of the
>>> show, as vdr restarts the recording into a new file. The gap is
>>> visible/hearable also on live tv, even without recording taking place.
>>> The other muxes don't have this problem (their pids don't change).
>>
>> I guess the best thing to do would be to complain to the broadcaster.
>> The PIDs should be set correctly _before_ the programme starts.
>
>>> changing pids of channel 1 from 512+128:650=eng:2321 to 512+128:650=fin:2321
>
> No, just a minor change in the description. To my opinion, that must
> not result in retuning or interruption of recordings.
>
> I've some similar reported on 2004-12-04
> vdr-1.3.17, DVB-T, "changing transponder data of channel"
>
> changing transponder data of channel 15 from T:522000000:0:1:0:2:1:2:1 to T:522000000:0:1:0:2:2:2:1

I can confirm these messages for Berlin. I assume vdr gets this
information from NIT (pid 0x10)? then again the broadcaster is doing
something weird? Or is vdr using the get_frontend-ioctl?

The flipping field is CoderateL, which afaik not in use anywhere in the
world?! So normally it should be FEC_NONE as long as hierarchy is turned
off. Maybe vdr should manually take care on that?

regards,
Patrick.