[vdr] Any progress on an XBMC frontend to VDR?

Stefan Taferner taferner at kde.org
Wed Mar 23 13:13:30 CET 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 12:21, Michal Dobrzynski wrote:
> Using the XBox for watching DVD's and xvids has well as listening to
> music has been a revelation. It starts up quickly, it turns off with
> the press of a button. If anything locks up you can turn it off, then
> on and reload the interface faster than a PC would take just to turn
> off.

AFAIK LinVDR starts in 25 seconds, shuts down in 10.
Still not that fast, but I could live with that.

> If digital TV (including recording) could be made this easy and
> combined with the other features great features of XBMC then it would
> be unstoppable and only lacking in the HDTV department (next XBox for
> that I guess).

The so called killer application. It has only one problem: its proprietary.
There will always be people who will work on an open solution.

> To sum things up I'm not asking for VDR to change into something else
> (unless that's necessary for this sort of thing to even be possible but
> I doubt that). All I really want to know is if any work on an XBMC
> frontend to VDR ("My TV" anyone?) is being done by anyone anywhere. Is
> it possible? Why or why not?

To sum it up: you got yourself a proprietary solution and now you are
frustrated that VDR does not support it?

I do not know if any VDR to XBMC exists. You probably already asked
Google for it I assume. Somewhere rings a bell, but probably because
this XBMC question was asked before.

Besides that I wonder if the XBox is really that much cheaper than an
epia board with small harddisk plus dvd rom.

Kind regards,
Stefan