[vdr] Any progress on an XBMC frontend to VDR?

Daniel THOMPSON daniel.thompson at st.com
Thu Mar 24 09:43:26 CET 2005

Michal Dobrzynski wrote:
>> Besides that I wonder if the XBox is really that much cheaper than an
>> epia board with small harddisk plus dvd rom.
>
> Wonder no more. You can get 2 XBox's for the price of an epia board with
> NO hard disj or DVD-Rom. You can get 2 Xbox's for the price of a single
> full featured DVB card. In fact you can get an XBox at about the same
> price as a decent Linux supported Budget DVB-T card. For the money I've
> spent trying to get a PC to do the job reasonably I could have had about
> 10 XBox's AND a VDR server with 4 budget DVB-T cards in it.

Given the X-Box is basically a PC with a digitally restricted BIOS and
has four USB sockets at the front then the cheapest HTPC (and in an only
marginally ugly case) is an X-Box with a budget USB DVB-T adapter. For
real hack value it might even be possible to cram the DVB-T main board
inside the X-Box!

Using X-Box Linux you can run VDR directly on the X-Box *without* a
second PC.

--
Daniel Thompson (STMicroelectronics) <daniel.thompson at st.com>
1000 Aztec West, Almondsbury, Bristol, BS32 4SQ. 01454 462659

If a car is a horseless carriage then is a motorcycle a horseless horse?