[vdr] how to convert vdr to divx?

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Fri Mar 25 00:24:52 CET 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 12:14:12PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > even with the default settings as in the script, the quality is
> > > reasonable. artifacts are only really noticable in graphics and
> > > lettering on signs etc.
> >
> > And with respect to size ?
>
> about 400-450MB per hour, which is a lot better than ~3GB/hour.
>
> that's for the one-pass version. haven't actually tried the two (three :)
> pass version yet.

i tried the three-pass version yesterday afternoon. for a one-hour
recording, with transcoding done on my amd64 3200:

one-pass took 37 minutes and resulted in a file 381MB in size.
(transcoding at approx 50fps)

three-pass took 206 minutes and resulted in a file 707MB in size.
(transcoding at approx 227fps for pass1, 50fps for pass 2, and only 8fps
for pass 3)

quality was excellent on both versions. the one-pass seemed very
slightly fuzzy in comparison to the three-pass, but it was only
noticable if you were looking for it....and even then, i'm not 100% sure
that i didn't just imagine it because i was expecting it to be worse.

and that was in full-screen mode on my 21" monitor less than a foot from
my eyes. when i set up my dedicated VDR machine connected to my TV about
10 feet from my eyes, it probably wont be noticable at all.

i don't think i'll bother with 2/3 passes any more.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)