[vdr] HDTV -> mpeg4

Reinhard Walter Buchner rw.buchner at freenet.de
Mon Mar 28 15:06:02 CEST 2005

Hi Grégoire,

> just done a small try to convert an Euro1080 FTA preview
> to mpeg4, with a bitrate of 2500 with mencoder : quality
> was very bad...

>Anyone already converted (and keeping the resolution)
> HDTV with a perfect quality to mpeg4 ?

ROFL (sorry!). MPEG4 compression already sucks on
normal TV. Doing that to a HDTV resolution should be
outlawed ;o)))

Please don't misunderstand, but re-compressing (mpeg4)
something that is already compressed (mpeg2) is ALWAYS
going to give you miserable results. Doing the same to a
high resolution picture is only going to make things worse.

A bitrate of 2500 isn't enough for standard quality TV. You'll
need at least 3-5x that rate if you want to see the advantages
of HDTV.

At the current stage of development, I never understood
why mpeg4 is still around. CDs and DVDs are so cheap
nowadays, there is no reason to give up quality for size.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.